Friday, January 23, 2009

How I spent my day off (2009-01-23) - woodworking

Earlier in the week I worked extra on Monday and Tuesday, enough to cover an entire day. So, Friday, I took the day off of work, having worked 40 hours in the previous 4 days. I was tired, so got to sleep in. However, when I was awake, I, as always, felt the push to get something done. I always feel this push.

I have been working on an entertainment center addition, but with the cold weather, i have been stymied with the staining process. Today was a great day of weather, and I actually worked in my shortsleeves, and was able to hear the heater shut off on its own many times during the day. I finished staining and steel wooling the entertainment center today, and finished up some touch up parts I had not known what to do with yet. I added backing to different portions of the project. I even spent quite a while trying to get the doors to work. I didnt come up with a definite solution yet, but am on the way to one, I hope. I did scope out the wood for the drawers, and actually put together part of one to test it out and learned a lot.

Some pictures are here, in my flickr site.

Also, while I was waiting and confused on direction, I made a couple clocks. One was for a friend of mine's Birthday gift. The wood had been previously cut out to size to accept a clock, so finishing it was relatively simple. I also converted an idea for a clock that I had seen at work into a wood version. Its a 3" block that balances. Its hard to describe, check out the pics.

After all, I spent quite a bit of time in the garage, working on a few different projects and made some great progress. I ended up going to Home Depot and picking up a new saw blade and some quick clamps with my christmas money.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Cleta said...

A good thing to do on a day off. Love MOM